Truck drivers who owe back taxes can get tax relief in the form of an offer in compromise, an installment payment plan, a penalty abatement or other strategies . We specialize in helping owner/operators and anyone in the trucking industry.


 If truck drivers find themselves in a spot in which back taxes are unmanageable, it may be time to hire a tax relief company. There are numerous options, and the right choice will vary depending on each driver’s situation. A tax professional can advise as to which approach is the best one. Each approach also requires specific qualifications, and a professional can help determine these.

 Truck drivers are a good portion of the country’s workforce. In fact, they make up around 4 million strong! Figuring out taxes for truck drivers can be a little more complicated than for other employees, and when it comes to tax season, some truckers are faced with tax bills they are unable to pay. This may prevent them from filing, or they may file but not pay the bill. While there is nothing illegal about owing the IRS money, it is against the law to not file for more than three years.

 Are you a truck driver with tax debt? Resolve your back taxes once in for all!

We offer Complete Business Services for Truck Drivers

My Tax Agency is unique because we are much more than just a tax and accounting firm. We can help you take care of all your trucking business needs including sorting and filing paperwork and receipts, keeping track of your expenses and revenue, creating a budget and profit plan, preparing and filing taxes, and providing unlimited consulting from trucking industry experts. This will allow you to spend less time worrying about your business, and more time driving.

We offer specialized tax and accounting services for truck drivers and logistics companies. We know you are on the road and have limited time to spend on these important matters. Our services help take the burden off of you.

We prepare your:

  • Monthly or Quarterly financial statement, which provides an analysis of how well you are doing as an owner/operator.
  • Federal and State quarterly income tax deposits
  • Individual & Corporate Tax Returns (Federal & State)
  • Heavy Road Use (Form 2290)

Keep More of Your Hard-Earned Money!

Over the years, My Tax Agency has worked with thousands of owner-operators to help them file their taxes and run more profitable businesses. From those experiences, we’ve developed a strategy to help drivers identify areas where they can save money on their taxes and keep more of what they make.

This outline below is just a glimpse of important deductions and commonly overlooked expenses that can significantly reduce your tax burden. Discover how the smartest owner-operators employ our top tax strategies to pay less in taxes each year!

Trucking Industry Expense Descriptions

Bank and CCIS Fees

Bank charges and CCIS fees for anything BUT cash advances. Cash advance fees are usually included on the settlement statement.

Contract Labor

Payments made for occasional labor related to your truck – most likely for drivers.

Fuel Expense

Fuel for which you paid cash or charged to your PERSONAL credit card. This does not include fuel charged to your carrier as those charges will be picked up from the settlement statement.


Insurance for which you personally paid. This does not include deductions for truck, health, and workman’s compensation insurance which are reflected on your settlement statement.

Motels and Lodging

Motels and lodging expenses which were incurred while you were on the road or conducting business related to your truck (i.e. signing up as owner/operator). This also will include any charges that you paid and will be reimbursed by your carrier.

Office Supplies

Any items related to record keeping of your truck (i.e. notebooks, pens, calculators).

Other Expenses

Other expenses incurred while not on the road. We recommend that you not be tempted to put too much into this category as a large amount of expenses that are labeled “Other Expense” may put up a red flag for the IRS.

Other Road Expenses

Other expenses incurred while on the road (i.e. parking, showers, etc). If you have an expense and you don’t know where it belongs, we recommend using the other/comments field.

Permits and Licenses

(Any permit or license that you personally paid for, regardless of whether it will be reimbursed by your carrier.)

Postage and Courier Fees

Postage, Fax Machine, and Federal Express expenses.


Any telephone expenses related to the operation of your truck. This also includes monthly cellular phone charges.

Tire Expense

Purchase and repair of tires.

Repairs, Parts and Service

Repairs including parts and labor, full service, oil, fuel additives, towing and general maintenance.

Truck Supplies

Any supplies used for your truck (refrigerator, cellular phone, microwave, CB radio, radar detector, cleaning supplies, and any other items related to the use of your truck). Do not include any items on the expense line or the accounting envelope that were charged to the Company store. That information will come from your settlement statement.

Truck Wash

Truck and trailer washes, including coin washes.

Refrigeration Fuel

Fuel for a refrigerated truck. This includes any fuel that you paid cash for or charged to your personal credit card, regardless of whether or not it is to be reimbursed by your carrier.

Unloading and Lumper

Expenses incurred for unloading which you paid personally, regardless of whether you are to be reimbursed or not.

Meals and Incidental Expenses

The number of days that you were on the road during the month or during the period of time that your accounting period would cover. This is a per diem allowance which includes meals and snacks. You do not need to send receipts for this as it is a pre-determined amount for each day you are on the road.

Being a truck driver has a lot of perks, but the tax situation can be frustrating. Whether they need tax relief advice or help organizing and recording their expenses, truck drivers can benefit from going to financial professionals like My Tax Agency. Contact Us Today!